30 Days of November, Day 17: Of Gift-buying
I am immersed now in Holiday shopping for all of the little people in my life. In total I have 9 gifts to buy and a budget that was only geared towards buying 3 gifts. Oops. It has been a fine task to search the internet, from Amazon to Ebay looking for suitable toys.
There is no shortage of choice but when I try to look for something inside my limited budget which still seems to be durable, fun and educational I end up perfectly frustrated with the amount of toys that fall outside of that range.
When I further constrain myself by looking for toys that aren't too heavy, to avoid shipping charges, I end up scrolling through dozens of options before I finally settled on one toy.
I this point I have three more toys to go and I am already ready for this to be over. I have received two in hand from my shipping company and I wrapped them up today. I really detest wrapping, but I had some help and I got through it.
From my expertise in searching and finding one toy in every thirty-six to be suitable I have come up with a few guidelines for myself that I hope I remember next year.
- Check carefully for the suggested ages, the listing and the product packaging may differ
- Don't buy anything that doesn't have a comparison size picture so you can see a child playing with it. Even though you think you understand dimensions and can gauge the size you can't
- If you have a weight limit, don't buy anything that is too close, it will inevitably arrive in a ginormous box and cost you extra.
- Wooden toys are great, except that they may weigh a ton.
- Always buy more wrapping paper than you think you'll need
- Do ask parents for guidelines, really helps to narrow things down!
- Always budget a little extra!
Wondering what I got so far? Here's a few of my favorite ones.
|Wooden Giraffe Pull Toy|
|Wooden Peek-A-Boo Panda|
|Garbage Truck Book|
|Wooden 24-piece Puzzle|
Well, that's all for now. Good luck with your Holiday shopping! May the force be with you!I am hoping that when my list is done and all the gifts are wrapped and tagged that I will feel more cheerful!