30 Days of November, Day 10: Of Gluten Free Pizza

In my quest to try to make as many of my favorite foods gluten free as I can manage, and after successfully making pancakes with cassava flour, I decided to try pizza crust. The cassava had a nice taste to it and so, I decided that that would be my base.

I looked at several recipes until I was able to find one who ingredients seemed to include ones that I could actually find in Barbados. I subbed tapioca flour for arrow-root and was lucky enough to find a pack of coconut flour on a trip into town.

From there I had to decide what the toppings would be and I settled on chicken, mushrooms and pepper. I bought a new cheese to try, called Edam, because I am not really a fan of mozarella, but I have to admit that I don't like it much. It was quite sharp and it over-powered the taste of everything else. My plan is to buy a small block of cheddar for when I make this recipe again.

I had my friend to help me, and we had fun with it. The dough was sticky at first, with no chance of being rolled into a ball unless we added more flour but we winged it and I think it came out pretty good.

Here are some pics:

The flours I used

The yeast, bubbling away

The dough before I left it to rise.

It didn't grow a lot, but it did grow some.

The pizza baked and ready to eat!
I plan to make this again soon, and I will share my thoughts on it then. Catch you later when  have other kitchen adventures!

Comments

Popular Posts